Who is ‘The Sustainable SME’?
Hi, I am Sinéad Mitchell, and I am researching and developing practical solutions to help smaller businesses gain from the opportunities that environmental and social responsibility can bring. I have participated on the futureSME project since 2009 and work from the GMIT in Galway. I have a varied background, ranging from engineering and manufacturing to hospitality and catering, community development and social enterprise
Why am I here?
I want to communicate with anyone with an interest in the concept of ‘the Sustainable SME’. I want to engage with the wider community on the subject of sustainability in SMEs. The reasons why it is an important subject is that:
- …make up 99% of all businesses in Europe and
- …are responsible for 70% of environmental damage
- …have good intentions to be greener and more socially responsible
- … are missing out in the many opportunities that being more sustainable has to offer
What am I blogging on about?
About all issues related to sustainability, SMEs and everything in between. I want to explore:
- Why SMEs should consider sustainability
- The difficulties SMEs experience in getting started
- How to simplify sustainability tools to make them usable for small businesses
- How to communicate sustainability in SMEs -can social media play a part?
- What works well on a practical level in small companies
- And lots more!
I welcome any feedback
Please feel free to leave comments or share your own experiences.